Microsoft Windows, also known as, Windows Operating System or Windows OS was developed by Microsoft Corporation to run Personal Computers (PCs). In other words, Windows is a group of several propriety graphical operating system families developed and marketed by Microsoft.
A Look Into The History Of Windows OS:
Microsoft is considered as the family of operating systems. Here's a simple glimpse of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems from 1981 to the present day:
- MS-DOS: Microsoft Disk Operating System (1981): Standard Operating System for IBM-Compatible Personal Computers.
- Windows 1.0- 2.0 (1985-1992): In 1985, Windows 1.0 was named due to the computer boxes looking like "Windows" and that represented fundamental aspect of the operating system. In 1987, Windows 2.0 was designed and released with added desktop icons, keyboard shortcuts and improved graphics support.
- Windows 3.0- 3.1 (1990-1994): Better icons, performance and advanced graphics with 16 colors designed.
- Windows 95 (August 1995): Included number of important internal improvements.
- Windows 98 (June 1998): Active Desktop Feature that integrated Web Browser with Operating System.
- Windows NT: New Technology (1993-1996): supported preemptive multitasking.
- Windows 2000 (February 2000): The operating system business desktop and laptop system to run software applications, connect to internet, and access files, printers ans network resources.
- Windows ME: Millennium Edition (September 2000): Also known as "Windows Me" and included some features of Windows 2000 operating system.
- Windows XP (October 2001): The new operating system build to give a user more stable and reliable environment better than previous environment. Features were Home and Professional.
- Windows Vista (November 2006): Was capable to detect hardware problems before they occur, security feature to protect against system threats.
- Windows 7 (October 2009): The 25 year old line of Windows operating system with multi-touch support, Internet Explorer 8, improved performance and star up time.
- Windows 8 (August 2012): Completely redesigned operating system with touch screen use and near instant on capabilities with Live Tile feature.
- Windows 10 (July 2015): The present day operating system with fast startup and resume, built in security and Star Menu in expanded.
Interesting Facts About Microsoft Windows OS:
Microsoft is everywhere. As we all know, Windows operating system has changed a lot over the years. Here's some interesting and surprising facts about Windows operating systems:
- MS-DOS Was Not Their First Operating System: Yes! You read that correct. MS-DOS wasn't their first operating system. It was XENIX. In fact, MS-DOS was the modified license version of 86-DOS.
- The Folder You Can't Create: Creating folders in an Windows operating system is considered as one of the easiest task, but you can not create a folder named "CON" in Windows operating system. Yes! That's a fact. This is because Windows doesn't allow some special characters to be a part of its folder name.
- The First Virus For Windows OS: WinVer 1.4 was the first Windows virus coded for Microsoft Windows and was released in 1992.
- Microsoft Started With Another Name: The journey of Microsoft was started when their title was "Micro-soft". This hyphen was deleted back in 1976. The term Microsoft means combination of Microcomputer And Software.
- According to the latest usage of data, there are roughly 1.36 billion active Windows operating system users in present day. This figure is nearly around one and a half times as many people as in all North and South America combined.
- Since 2009, Windows 7 and Windows 8 have sold more units together than the number of people in Europe.
- When Windows XP was used, Microsoft had near complete domination of PC operating system market.
- Initially, Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft planned to name the Windows as "Interface Manager".
- After the success of Windows 7, Microsoft was ahead of Apple in terms of customer satisfaction.
- Windows 98 was the last Windows operating system which was based on MS-DOS.
- Windows NT was also called "Portable System" as it was designed for business related purpose.
- "Windows Nashville", "Windows Cario", and "Windows Neptune" are three unleashed versions of Windows operating system.
Must Read Facts About Microsoft:
- Billionaire Bill By 31: Bill Gates, the co-founder of Microsoft, was a billionaire when he turned 31. He was awarded Knighthood by the Queen of England in the year 2005. Wow!
- The Wannabe Casanova: Bill Gates coded the high class scheduling program in his high school in such a way that he was allotted a seat next to girl students. Strange!
- Microsoft Loves M&M: If you're working at Microsoft and celebrating your birthday, you need to give 1 pound of M&M candy for every year you've worked at Microsoft. Also, Microsoft loves to celebrate events with M&M. That's Nice!
- Call 'em "Softie": A Microsoft Employee with age around 38 with an average pay of $100,000 for a developer likes to call themselves "Softie". Sweet!
- The Charity:Bill Gates donated his whole wealth to charity for two times. He started the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which was engaged for the uplifting of people in poor and developing nations. Good Job Bill!
Thanks For Reading :D