WHAT IS CARBON NANO-TECHNOLOGY?
A carbon nanotube computer is a computer that is totally built using carbon nanotubes [CNT] transistors. Carbon nanotubes are small tube like structures built from carbon and the diameters typically measured in nanometers. There are three types of carbon nanotubes- zigzag carbon nanotubes, armchair carbon nanotubes and chiral carbon nanotubes. For process fabrication, carbon based nanotubes have always been considered better than silicon. In theory it has proved to be faster and more efficient which will be a boon to the present technology. All the electronic devices from computers to phones will have a higher speed and more efficiency. The Stanford university was the first to build a basic nanotube computer in the month of September in 2013. Then it was followed by the students of MIT who built a more sophisticated carbon nanotube based computer.
WHY IS CARBON TECHNOLOGY USED?
Carbon technology is mainly used for making any application that requires high strength, light weight properties, durability, electrical conductivity and thermal conductivity. Currently they are mainly used as additives in production for synthetics.
POTENTIAL USE OF CARBON TECHNOLOGY:
- Water filters: High flow membranes are of paramount vitality for future efficient water purification.
- Displays and sensors: Field emission display[FSD] technology has made possible a new class of high resolution, low cost flat panel displays, high resolution and large area.
- Electrodes: They have been used for biological, electrochemical and chemical sensing applications. They have great electrical properties and large surface area.
- Nanomedicine and biotechnology: These nanotubes can be easily modified to impart important properties like increased solubility, biocompatibility, cellular responsiveness and better material compatibility suited for various biological applications. Recently, nitrogen doped carbon nanotubes have been successfully tested for drug delivery applications.
- Nanoinks: Ink formulations based on CNT dispersions are viable for printed electronics applications such as RFID tags, thin-film transistors, solar cells, transparent electrodes etc.
- Sensors: They have been used for plethora of gas detection projects especially the green house gased like methane.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF CARBON NANOTECHNOLGY?
- Extremely small and light weight
- They are reliable and stronger than silicon based nanotubes
- Faster processors using less energy and producing very less hit than silicon processors
- Carbon nanotubes are resistant to temperatures which means that they can work as efficiently in the extreme heat as they work in cold conditions.
- Enables multitasking
- Free of energy leakage
- Smaller inside
- Graphics intensive
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES OF CARBON NANOTECHNOLOGY?
- Environmental risks
- Lack of solubility in aqueous media
- Privacy risk
- They are not portable
- The carbon technology can lead to the loss of thousands of old traditional jobs.
Carbon nanotechnology is all set to conquer the new era of fast processors and chips. It is still a newbie which needs more improvement and accessibility. But on a positive end, it provides us with many hopes foe a better future. Let us hope for the best!!!